Underarm Laser Hair Removal: Procedure, Cost & More
Underarm hair, also known as axillary hair, begins to emerge throughout adolescence. While underarm hair is important as it minimises skin-to-skin friction, it also emits an odour and promotes excessive sweating. These are the reasons that some individuals prefer to remove armpit hair rather than develop underarm hair. Underarm laser hair removal is popular among individuals who love the feel of smooth skin and others who have unique aesthetic preferences.
Underarm hair appears in girls between the ages of 11 and 15, and in males between the ages of 11 and 14. If the issue of why armpit hair develops can be solved, the answer is that the pituitary gland stimulates the testicles and ovaries to produce androgens, which promote the appearance and development of underarm hair.
Androgen is a sex hormone that stimulates the sweat glands to begin working. The sweat gland is linked to hair follicles in the axillary and pubic regions.
During the early stages of puberty, the armpit hair is thin, short, and light in colour. Ultimately, the hair grows to its terminal point, becoming thicker, stronger, and deeper in colour.
The removal of undesirable underarm hair is a long-established procedure. Since demand is the source of invention, this practise has given rise to various underarm hair removal treatments, such as waxing and shaving.
In addition to that, the procedure has resulted in the development of a therapy that provides people with a long-term option for eradicating undesirable underarm hair. So, we are referring to the process of laser hair removal.
What is the process of laser hair removal?
Underarm laser hair removal is equivalent to hair removal using lasers on other parts of the body. The entire treatment is broken down into steps, which include a comprehensive visit with a dermatologist, prepping the body area for laser hair removal, conducting the procedure, and aftercare.
The first step is to locate the best centre for underarm laser hair removal. Many clinics offering various laser hair removal techniques have opened in recent years. However, because it is a cosmetic process that necessitates a particular level of competence, it is always recommended to seek out a dermatologist or clinic with experience in laser hair removal practice.
Though underarm laser hair removal is a relatively safe technique, there are some risks if the individual receiving the surgery is not a good candidate. Thus, you should check with a dermatologist to determine whether you are a good candidate for underarm laser hair removal.
What are the preparations for laser hair removal?
If your doctor determines that you are a good fit for the underarm laser hair removal process, they will also advise you to observe certain precautions before undergoing the procedure, such as:
- Avoid tanning for at least 30 days before underarm laser hair removal. It’s because you need to prevent making your skin pigmentation darker so that the laser can more easily target the hair follicle.
- Shaving the underarm hair 24 hours before the treatment allows your skin to settle, which is especially important if you are susceptible to razor rashes or burns. You should also avoid waxing or plucking your hair, as these treatments can reduce the efficiency of the laser.
- Wearing comfortable outfits or something that will make the dermatologist’s task easier. Always choose clothes that will not hurt your skin following treatment.
- If you are apprehensive in general, it is preferable to avoid coffee for at least a day before the procedure.
How is laser hair removal performed?
When you arrive at the centre, the dermatologist or skin care professional will thoroughly clean the therapy area and, if required, apply a mild anaesthetic lotion. During the process, they will provide you with cotton pads and protective eyewear to shield your eyes.
The specialist will then use handheld equipment to produce a beam of light for the underarm area. The light involved in this technique is known as “a laser”, and the equipment converts light energy into thermal energy to destroy the hair follicles and prevent them from producing new hairs.
A comprehensive underarm laser hair removal procedure can take approximately 15 minutes. To reduce side effects and pain, your dermatologist may use an ice pack or a cooling gel for the underarms.
Aftercare for laser hair removal
There are certain post-care guidelines you should follow to avoid serious effects:
- Some people may experience sunburn in the area of treatment for a few hours. Applying a cold compress or ointment will help alleviate the symptoms immediately.
- Clean the area thoroughly with light soap. You should not rub the skin for the first two days and instead pat it dry with a soft towel.
- If you notice stubble developing 5–30 days after the procedure, don’t worry; it’s natural, and the stubble usually falls out rapidly. If there is no swelling or redness at the treated site, you should exfoliate the underarm to speed up hair shedding. The hair that develops on the underarm following the procedure is not new hair development but rather dead hair that has emerged from the follicle.
- You should not apply harsh chemical-based deodorant, perfume, or lotions to the treated region for the first day.
- It is crucial to avoid direct sunlight to minimise the probability of light or dark spots for approximately two months.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin.
What is the underarm laser hair removal cost?
Since the underarm laser hair removal cost primarily depends on the size of the area of the procedure, underarm laser hair removal is definitely the most cost-effective procedure for laser hair removal.
The underarm laser hair removal cost is determined by several factors, including the location of the skin care centre of the clinic, the experience of the doctor, the type of laser used, and how many sessions for laser hair removal.
What are the risks of laser hair removal?
When you visit an excellent and skilled skin care specialist or dermatologist for underarm laser hair removal, you avoid or reduce the potential risks of laser hair removal side effects such as:
However, some adverse effects may develop because various skin types respond differently to underarm laser hair removal. However, all of these adverse effects are very temporary and will disappear on their own after a certain period of time.
Some may experience temporary pigmentation problems following the laser hair removal process. However, if you experience any negative effects, it is best to consult with your doctor.
Also Read : Laser Hair Removal Cost Delhi?
Why choose the Royal Lush Clinic?
Royal Lush Clinic has established itself as a recognised name in the area of laser hair removal in South Delhi and Gurgaon. We have a large number of satisfied clients who have already benefited from our services. We are the leading underarm laser hair removal clinic in South Delhi and Gurgaon because of our competence in the field and a team of well-trained specialists. So, if you’ve been considering underarm laser hair removal therapy, contact our team to receive the best outcomes at the most affordable pricing.