If we notice that cellulite is much more common in women as compared to the men population because of the differences in the way muscle, connective tissues and fat are being distributed in the skin of the men and women. It refers to the dimpled appearance of the skin that some may have on their thighs, buttocks, and hips. It has been referred to as edematous fibrosclerotic panniculopathy (EFP) in medical terms.
When you see a cellulite, you will find lumpiness that is being caused by fat deposits that distort the connective tissue and push them as well beneath the skin that leads to the characteristic changes in appearance of the skin.
What causes Cellulite?
There are so many causes that can influence the extent to which cellulite is visible or present as follows:
- Growing age
- Skin thickness
- The amount and distribution of body fat
- Due to shrinkage or shortening of the fibrous tissue cords that anchor the skin.
What are the symptoms of Cellulite?
1. Dimpling of the skin and not apparent unless the skin is pinched.
2. A lumpy appearance to the flesh
3. Skin will appear like an “orange peel”
4. the most targeted locations are the hips, buttocks, and abdomen and sometimes can be occurs in the breasts, upper arms, or belly.
What are the available options for the treatment?
- Dietary supplements: Massage treatments
- Laser, light, or radiofrequency therapy
- Cellulite diets